Privacy Notice - Business Customers, Suppliers and Business Partners
Your personal data
We would like to inform you about the personal data collected about you by Select Carbon Proprietary Limited, a company within the Shell group of companies (‘Shell’), for which purposes and your rights in this respect.
This Privacy Notice may be supplemented by local/additional notices.
Shell has adopted Binding Corporate Rules which provide a privacy compliance framework which has been approved by the Dutch Data Protection Authority such that Shell companies are able to lawfully transfer personal data to other companies within the Shell group in compliance with EU data protection law.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns related to the processing of your personal data – contact details are provided below.
This Privacy Notice provides information regarding the personal data which are processed by Select Carbon Proprietary Limited and its affiliates’ (‘Select Carbon’ or ‘we’) within the Shell group of companies (‘Shell’) in relation to (i) individuals who work for, or on behalf of, or who are shareholders of our business customers (‘Business Customers’), (ii) suppliers or vendors (‘Suppliers’), (iii) business partners, , investors and shareholders (‘Business Partners’).
For individuals who require access to a Select Carbon site on behalf of a Business Customer, Supplier or Business Partner you will be asked to provide additional information to enable you to be identified for health, safety and security purposes and to manage the relationship between Select Carbon and the relevant Business Customer, Supplier or Business Partner. For further information please refer to the Privacy Notice – Employee, Contractor and Dependents’.
For individuals who apply to work for Select Carbon, or who attend a recruitment event or undertake an assessment please refer to the Privacy Notice – Recruitment.
As well as this Privacy Notice , bespoke privacy notices and supplementary privacy statements may contain further information about how Select Carbon is processing your personal data.
This Privacy Notice explains what personal data are processed about you, why we are processing your personal data and for which purposes, how long we hold your
personal data for, how to access and update your personal data, as well as the options you have regarding your personal data, and where to go for further information. The Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act), the Australian Privacy Principles and registered codes govern the way in which we must manage your personal information
Special Notice – if you are under 18 years old. Processing children’s personal data
Except in those cases where Select Carbon may organise educational events specifically designed for children, we do not intentionally collect personal data of individuals under 18 years old. If you are under 18 years old (or a different age to reflect local legal requirement as communicated on the Select Carbon website in your location) please do not send us your personal data for example, your name, address and email address. If you wish to contact Select Carbon in a way which requires you to submit your personal data (such as for education or innovation events) please get your parent or guardian to do so on your behalf.
We process personal data from and in relation to individuals who are, or who work for or on behalf of or who are shareholders in our Business Customers, Suppliers, Business Partners in the following categories:
- Private contact information (such as name, postal or e-mail address, date-of-birth and phone number) only if necessary;
- Business contact and other information (such as job title, department, name of organisation and your dealings with Select Carbon on behalf of yourself or the relevant Business Customer, Supplier, Business Partner).
- If you apply for products, services or credit from us, we may also collect and hold various information related to your assets and financial position, including credit information or credit eligibility information about you.
We process personal data covered by this Privacy Notice for the following purposes:
- Business execution – including providing, researching, developing and improving products or services; concluding and executing agreements with Business Customers, Suppliers and Business Partners; recording and settling services, products and materials to and from Select Carbon; managing relationships and marketing such as maintaining and promoting contact with existing and prospective customers, account management, customer service, and development, execution and analysis of market surveys and marketing strategies, dealing with any complaints or enquiries, purposes permitted under the Privacy Act and credit reporting legislation, debt-recovery
- Organisation and management of the business – including financial management, asset management, mergers, demergers, acquisitions and divestitures, implementation of controls, management reporting, analysis, internal audits and investigations;
- Health, safety and security – including protection of an individual’s life or health, occupational health and safety, protection of Select Carbon and staff, authentication of individual status and access rights; or
- Legal and/or regulatory compliance – including compliance with legal or regulatory requirements.
We may also process your personal data for a secondary purpose where it is closely related, such as:
- storing, deleting or anonymising personal data;
- fraud prevention, audits, investigations, dispute resolution or insurance purposes, litigation and defence of claims;
- or statistical, historical or scientific research.
The personal data covered by this Privacy Notice are only processed:
- in order to take steps at the request of an individual prior to entering into a contract;
- in order to provide you with the services you are, or someone else you know is, seeking.
- where it is necessary to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation to which the relevant Select Carbon company/companies is subject to;
- where it is necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the relevant Select Carbon company/companies, except where such interests are overridden by the interests or fundamental rights and freedoms of the individual/s; or
- (only if legally required) with the explicit consent of the individual.
In those cases where processing is based on consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. This will not affect the validity of the processing prior to the withdrawal of consent.
The personal data covered by this Privacy Notice are exclusively processed for the purposes referred to above and will only be shared on a strict need to know basis with:
- Other companies within the Shell group of companies;
- Authorised third party agents who at times may reside overseas, service providers (including insurers, distributors, metering service providers and financial institutions for payment processing), external auditors and/or subcontractors of Select Carbon; or
- A competent public authority, government, regulatory or fiscal agency where it is necessary to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation to which Select Carbon is subject to or as permitted by applicable local law.
- credit providers or credit reporting agencies,
debt collection agencies and other parties that assist with debt recovery functions
If you choose to interact with Select Carbon through social media on a Select Carbon administered social media page (‘Select Carbon Social Media Page’) such as, Twitter or LinkedIn, your personal data (such as your name, your profile picture and the fact that you are interested in Select Carbon) will be visible to all visitors of your personal webpage depending on your privacy settings on the relevant social media platform, and will also be visible to Select Carbon. You can delete any information that you share on these sites at any time through your relevant social media platform’s account. Select Carbon does not track your activity across the different social media sites that you use. Please contact Select Carbon if you wish to make a request that you are unable to action yourself and which relates to a Select Carbon Social Media Page – see the ‘Your rights in relation to your personal data’ section below.
Additionally and to the extent Select Carbon is jointly responsible with a social media platform of a Select Carbon Social Media Page, Select Carbon will have access through the social media platform to aggregated data providing statistics and insights that help to understand the types of actions you take on Select Carbon Social Media Pages. For more information on how your personal data are processed on those social media platforms, including any targeted advertising that you may receive, please refer to your privacy settings accessible through your relevant social media platform’s account.
Personal data gathered by Select Carbon for these processes either directly or indirectly are required in order to:
- Fulfil legal requirements and/or which is required for entering into a contract with a counter-party and continuing to contract with that counter-party; or
- Maintain contact with Business Customers, Suppliers and Business Partners.
Failure to provide us with the information required will negatively affect our ability to communicate with you, or our ability to enter into a contract with a counter-party or continue to contract with a counter-party.
With some exceptions which are explained in supplementary privacy statements, any personal data that are required for the purposes of conclusion and execution of agreements with Business Customers, Suppliers and Business Partners or for considering bids or tenders, will be held during the duration of the contractual relationship and up to 15 years after. For agreements which have a term of more than five years and for the purposes set out above, these agreements will be held for 35 years with effect from the commencement of the agreement.
In all other cases for the purposes set out above, including personal data gathered as part of any unsuccessful bids to Select Carbon or which relates to the screening against publicly available or government issued sanctions lists and media sources, such personal data are held for no longer than 15 years after it was first gathered.
In all cases information may be held for (a) a longer period of time where there is a lawful reason to do so (in which case it will be deleted once no longer required for that purpose) or (b) a shorter period where the individual objects to the processing of their personal data and there is no longer a legitimate business purpose to retain it.
We aim to keep our information as accurate as possible. You can request:
- access to your personal data;
- correction or deletion of the personal data (but only where they are no longer required for a legitimate business purpose);
- that you no longer receive marketing communications on behalf of the relevant Business Customer, Supplier or Business Partner;
- that the processing of your personal data is restricted; and/or
- that you receive personal data that you have provided to Select Carbon, in a structured, digital form to be transmitted to another party, if this is technically feasible.
If you are unsatisfied with the handling of your personal data by Select Carbon, then you have the right to lodge a complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at GPO Box 5218, Sydney NSW 2001, Australia, or the Dutch Data Protection Authority whose address is Prins Clauslaan 60, 2595 AJ The Hague, The Netherlands. Please visit https://oaic.gov.au or https://autoriteitpersoonsgegevens.nl/en for more information.
This Privacy Notice may be changed over time. You are advised to regularly review this Privacy Notice for possible changes. This Privacy Notice was last updated in January 2021.